Wednesday, August 19, 2015

A500.2.3.RB_Wright Kyle

Important Standards in My Life
What are some standards that are most important in your life?

The standards that I consider most important to me are biblical standards which I consider a must for living my life in a manner that is pleasing and acceptable to God. While many Christians might tell you that the Ten Commandments are the most important, I think that if you follow the standards that I have identified below you will find that you have lived up to the standards of the Ten Commandments: "love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself" (LifeChurch.tv, 2008, p. Matthew 22:37) "Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself for her," (LifeChurch.tv, 2008, p. Ephesians 5:25)"honor your father and mother," (LifeChurch.tv, 2008, p. Ephesians 6:2), and "fathers, do not provoke your children to wrath, but bring them up in the training of the Lord." (LifeChurch.tv, 2008, p. Ephesians 6:4)  While I believe these standards of living are important I would be lying if I told you that I didn't struggle with them. One in particular that I struggle with on a daily basis is the "love your neighbor as yourself"

 
In other words these standards are goals that i strive to achieve, but the struggle is real and the standard is difficult for me. The first standard, love the Lord, means following His commandments, loving your neighbor means putting others needs ahead of my own, loving my wife means putting her wellbeing above that of my own, while honoring my parents means respecting them and regard their guidance, which seems to have become easier over the years, and the final standard I have listed, fathers do not provoke your children, challenges me to raise my kids in the way I believe they some go but also reminds me not to be overly harsh on them.

 
For example love is the center of most of my standards, and while it is easy to say you love someone, true love is giving of yourself and putting the needs and desires of your loved ones ahead of your own.  Because true love is not jealous, it is not haughty, nor is it selfish, it does for others best it wants to, not because of what it will get in return.

 
It is like that little puppy who love his master, he will love you and follow you around just to be near you, he is not concerned with what you are going to do for him he just wants to be near you.  We often call it puppy love but this is the purest form of love no expectations just a desire to please, he doesn't care what you are wearing, he doesn't even care if you brush your teeth he just wants to be with you.
 

How did you acquire those standards?

While I was obviously not born with these standards these are standards my father and mother trained me in as a young laid.  I can remember my father honoring his parents even as an adult and how he loved and treated others around him, he taught me the value of treating others with love and respect.  He also set the example of how to love and respect my future spouse and while my father died many years before I was grown and married I can still remember that example as if it were yesterday.

 
How have they changed over the years?  

One proverb that was used in my house growing up was do unto others as you would have them do unto you, and while I thought for years this was the ultimate way to treat people my commander a few years ago taught me a new level of this rule, that is treat others as they would like to be treated.  So yes a few of my standards have changed and matured over the years but the basic concept is still the same, love others.

References

LifeChurch.tv. (2008). You Version Bible.

No comments:

Post a Comment