Reflect on your perceived value of this
course. Include both positive and negative aspects of your experience.
The most significant value I personally
identified in the Leadership Foundations In Research course was the self reflection and
examination of my thinking tendencies. I personally identified several
tendencies both sociocentric and egocentric ideas that often stand in the way
of my ability to think critically. One specific sociocentric idea that effects
my though patterns deals with video games, I am old school and when I see
individuals wasting time playing video games I have a tendency to automatically
assume that they are lazy and immature, while this may be the case with some,
the idea that all individuals that enjoy playing games are lazy is a stereo
type and unfair sociocentric idea that I
learned as a child from my social group, my parents, the funny part about that
is now that my mother is older and retired she plays online games.
What might you have done to improve your
learning experience in this course?
One of my biggest challenges in any course I
have taken has always been finding time to devote the level of study needed to
truly grasp the concepts, while I am not dumb I am a slow reader and therefore
it takes me twice as long to accomplish the weekly work as I would anticipate
others spending. Another improvement to my learning experience in this course
would be spending an narrowing and focusing the direction of my research on
Irrational Thinking so I could have put additional focus on the final
directional of the project. While I like the direction I took in the end I
think I could have learned much more had I focused my direction a couple of
weeks earlier.
How might the University or your instructor
provide additional support for your learning?
This is the first course I have taken since
Embry Riddle started using the canvas software and I have to say it is a
significant improvement over the old Blackboard software. While the Canvas
software took a short amount of time to adjust to it provided the information
in a friendly and efficient manner. I personally do not have any suggestions
for improvement on the part of Embry Riddle.
As far as Professor Watkins, I think she provided a clear and accurate
direction for student learning and her understanding of course objectives and
timely input made this course enjoyable and informative, therefore I also do
not have any improvement recommendations for Professor Watkins.
Were there topics covered in this course
that seem particularly relevant or irrelevant to your experiences and to what
you expect to come in future courses?
The introduction to qualitative and quantitative research
seemed to be a little misplaced, while the Foundations in Research seemed to be
on a specific direction I think a overview in module one that introduced students
to all forms of research might be more beneficial than simply dropping the idea
of research methods after five weeks of straight
discussion on critical thinking, or maybe a mix of research methods included in
each weeks discussion or course work.
No comments:
Post a Comment